Skip to main content

Your Children Are Not Your Children




I was introduced to the poem, “On Children” by Kahlil Gibran seven years ago by a friend who was the most intentional father I have ever met.  He was so in tune with his son, and their relationship was truly incredible to watch.  He shared this poem with me and I was so moved that I read it often as I navigated the journey of parenthood.  I still reflect on it often and even more so lately because I have a teenager and I often feel like I am throwing her to the wolves of life.  Social media, peers at school who will expose her to things I would rather she never be exposed to, and the hardships that come with being a teenager.  This poem gives me comfort as a parent and remains a guiding force for me today, so much in fact that it inspired the name of my company, Crossing Arrows.

The heartbreaking wisdom of Gibran amazes me, especially considering he never had children of his own.  I trust being childless gave him an objectivity that made it possible to see the truth in his words.  
Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life’s longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

The first line evokes an instinctive response in most of us as parents.  As parents, we feel an emotional and spiritual instinct to care for our children.  We throw every ounce of our energy into intentionally raising them, guiding them, loving them.  How can Gibran say they’re not our children?

Truth is, they aren’t.  They don’t “belong” to us.  They are entrusted to us to raise and love.  We may have conceived them or adopted them, but we did not choose who they are.  They were “designed” long before they were conceived.  
You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.

Our children come with their own unique identity and personality.  Each is put on this earth in their own unique way to serve a purpose and as their “stable bow” we can love them and guide them, but we can’t make them think like us and we shouldn’t try because they were given their own thoughts and beliefs to navigate a life that we can’t even imagine.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

As parents, it is so tempting to want to shelter our kids and “hover” and make sure our kids never experience pain or heartache, but it is in fact the pain and heartache, the experiences, that mold them into who they are.  As parents, we help navigate them through their pain and give them a shoulder to cry on.  I believe in a God that loves our children far more than we can ever hope or imagine to love them ourselves and I believe it is important for us to know and understand that although we are entrusted to guide and love our children, it is God who knows our inadequacies as parents and makes up for the things we do wrong.  He satisfies the needs that we do not meet for our children.  We cannot be there every moment of our children’s lives…although I know we wish we could, so it is a force much greater than ourselves who is – God, nature, whatever you believe. 

My belief is God and I know He is there when my daughters’ stand at the great crossroads between right and wrong.  We can do our best as parents, but we all fail…miserably at times and that’s okay, because the outcome of our children’s lives doesn’t rest solely in our hands…they rest securely in the hands of their Creator, in the hands of other’s who influence their lives.  
You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.

I believe as parents, we feel this bending every day.  The bending is stronger during different seasons of our life, but bending nonetheless.  The closer we are to sending our children out into the world, the further we must bend.  We are the stable bow for our children, but we cannot direct the paths of our arrows once we send them forth so we must do what we can to prepare them for their journey.

I love the analogy that Gibran uses to illustrate the pain we experience in our “bending” as parents.  The pain serves a great purpose.
Let your bending in the archer’s hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

We and our children are loved deeply by the Divine and if we allow ourselves to be bent as parents and trust that we can only do so much for our children and everything else we must rest securely in the hands of their Creator, then they will grow up to be the self-sufficient, kind, generous humans that we desire for them to be. 

This is so much easier said than done.  But our children…the living arrows…are unique and have their own destiny and their own purpose separate from our own. 

Our children are not really our children at all, so I encourage you to be the stable bow that your “arrows” need you to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where My Passion for Child Advocacy Stems From

The greatest grandfather ever...Henry Hudson Barbarick I am often asked where my passion for child advocacy stems.   I am always quick to answer that question because I know exactly where it stems from...my grandfather, Henry.   My grandfather was the reason I was given a heart for children and for those in need.   Growing up I witnessed my grandparents give abundantly to those in need.   When I say they gave abundantly, I mean abundantly and the most amazing thing about them was they lived a very humble life.   My grandfather worked at the Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement and my grandmother stayed home and took care of the family.   So, they didn’t have a lot to give, but they gave as though they had so much. My grandparents had a large room in their basement that we referred to as the pantry.   It was the size of a bedroom and it was lined with shelves that were filled with food and they did this for one reason…so that when someone would come knocking on t

My Conversation with Allie about Bullying

  My conversation with Allie in the car rider line this morning... Me: Allie you're going to treat everyone with kindness today, right? Allie: Yes mom Me: And if you see someone being bullied what do you do? Allie: Mom, we just talked about this in school and they said to walk away and tell a teacher. Me: No, first you go and stand up for the kid that's being bullied and tell the bully that kindness will make them happier than bullying and then ask them if they would like to be your friend because sometimes a bully just needs a friend. Allie: And if they start bullying me? Me: Kill them with kindness baby...then look them directly in the eye and tell them that their bullying has no affect on you and tell them we will pray that their heart changes and then you go tell a teacher. Allie: Why would I be nice to them? Me: Because they are acting that way for a reason. Maybe they have a sad home life or aren't treated right by someone in their life and they don't

KCTV5 Interview – Child Advocacy

We are honored to have partnered with the Kansas City Child Protection Center, a nationally recognized child advocacy center. As many of you know, child advocacy is our first passion.  We have always said that Crossing Arrows has a higher purpose than just clothing children.  We are empowering children through clothing AND child advocacy.  We will live out our promise to help serve children in need as well as the organizations who provide life changing services.  We chose to partner with CPC because we believe in their mission and believe that our purpose with Crossing Arrows is to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves and for us, that’s children. The mission of the Child Protection Center is to respect the child and protect their voice throughout the investigation of child abuse. The CPC accomplishes its mission by providing a safe, child-friendly setting in which to interview child abuse victims, coordinating investigative team services as w