Skip to main content

A Letter to a Very Special Birth Mother

allie-1




I believe all birth mothers are special and selfless and so many go through life without being praised for choosing life for their babies.  I hesitated sharing this letter because I am naturally a very private person, but I feel it is important to share my letter to Pamela for two reasons: to praise her for her selflessness and to encourage others to give praise to all birth mothers.  So often in an adoption case, the birth mother is left without support and I am hopeful that this letter will reach more birth mother's who need to be told that they are the ones who deserve the praise.

An open letter to Allie's, birth mother...my sister, Pamela.

Pamela,
I have delayed writing you (six years to be exact) out of fear, pride and quite honestly no words can do justice to what I wanted to express to you.  I’ll never forget sitting in the red booth in Long John Silver’s when you asked me to adopt Allie.  I thought you were so brave and courageous.  I choked back the tears because that moment was all about YOU.  All about the sacrifice you were making for Allie.  A sacrifice to ensure she would be given everything that was robbed from you in your life.  I’ll never forget every thought and emotion that was flooding my mind in that moment, and I can only imagine what was going through yours.

I knew the moment you asked me to adopt Allie that she would be so loved.  That she would be so talented and smart and beautiful.  Despite all the uncertainties that existed throughout your pregnancy, I was certain of one thing…God was in control.  God had taken a very uncertain situation and blessed us all in ways we couldn’t have imagined.  I am still so amazed.

Honestly, I was not prepared for all the emotions I experienced when she was born on that cold, snowy January day.  She was perfect in every imaginable way with her dark skin, coal black hair and black eyes.  I remember looking at her and thinking she was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen.  She was so perfect and you took such good care of her throughout your pregnancy.  I remember sobbing when the doctor’s first handed her to me.  I sobbed because she was a miracle and because she was more perfect than I could have ever dreamed.  But I was also sobbing because you chose life for Allie.  I sobbed because you were the one who went through nine months of pregnancy, you were the one who delivered Allie in surgery and cried out in pain because the doctor had not administered enough medicine.  I sobbed because I got to go home with Allie while you were at your home recovering from delivery.  I sobbed because I knew that you weren’t prepared for the love you had for Allie, but you knew that life with mental illness and drug addiction was no life for her.  Nothing could have prepared me for that day.  It was magical and sad for me as I know it was for you.

I can’t tell you the number of nights I sat awake feeding Allie and crying because I was looking into the eyes of such an incredible baby and I knew you were in your bed experiencing separation and loneliness.  I cried because I knew just how much you loved Allie, as any mother would, and I simply couldn’t imagine being as selfless as you.  I’ve been given so much praise over the years for adopting Allie and for loving her so deeply, but the one that should be praised is YOU.  You chose life for Allie.  You sat aside your own desires of raising Allie to give her stability and a life of opportunity.  You, Pamela, are to be praised.  You are so selfless and I can never thank you enough for choosing me.  

I promise to love her fiercely every day.  I promise to support her and be patient with her.  I promise to encourage her and be her biggest fan…just as I know you would, had you been given the opportunity.  I promise that she will know and understand the FULL story.  Her story and your story.  I promise that as she gets older and better comprehends the full story, that she will admire you for your decision.  That she will praise you and be so proud of you.


I’ll forever be indebted to you.  Never forget the sacrifice you made for Allie.  I love you PK!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where My Passion for Child Advocacy Stems From

The greatest grandfather ever...Henry Hudson Barbarick I am often asked where my passion for child advocacy stems.   I am always quick to answer that question because I know exactly where it stems from...my grandfather, Henry.   My grandfather was the reason I was given a heart for children and for those in need.   Growing up I witnessed my grandparents give abundantly to those in need.   When I say they gave abundantly, I mean abundantly and the most amazing thing about them was they lived a very humble life.   My grandfather worked at the Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement and my grandmother stayed home and took care of the family.   So, they didn’t have a lot to give, but they gave as though they had so much. My grandparents had a large room in their basement that we referred to as the pantry.   It was the size of a bedroom and it was lined with shelves that were filled with food and they did this for one reason…so that when someone would come knocking on t

Raising Emotionally Intelligent Kids

Every morning I stand on the steps of our home, sipping my coffee, and watch my 12-year-old walk to the bus stop in the dark.   This morning as I watched her, I was suddenly more aware than ever that my baby girl is growing up…and fast.   She stands 5’8” tall and will most likely surpass me in height.   So, her height always makes her appear older than she is and as she made her way to the bus stop, her silhouette was illuminated by the street light and I felt as though I was going to blink, and she was going to be walking away from me to start the journey we call life.   And I panicked for a moment… is she ready, have I raised her with the tools she needs to succeed, have I been a good mother, have I prepared her mind, body and soul to take on the challenges that we are constantly presented with in life, will she be a self-sufficient, god-fearing woman? It’s terrifying at times to think that as parents we have the greatest impact on our children’s lives.   But then I took a dee

Allie’s Adoption Story

“I didn’t give you the gift of life, but in my heart I know.  The love I feel is deep and real, as if it had been so.  For us to have each other is like a dream come true.  No, I didn’t give you the gift of life; life gave me the gift of you.”   I was given a heart for children very early in life and I knew that I never wanted my passion for children to go untouched.  I wasn’t sure exactly all the ways my life would be impacted by this passion, but I was certain adoption was one of them. Before I was ever in a position to become a mother, I knew that my life would be touched by adoption.  For years, it was on the forefront of my mind to adopt a child internationally.  I had researched international orphanages in high school and some of the conditions of orphanages would bring me to tears and ignited in me an unquenchable desire to speak up for the children that could not speak for themselves.  So, I began praying that God would bless me with a child through adopti