Skip to main content

Welcome to transPARENTcy


Welcome to transPARENTcy!  transPARENTcy is a daily lifestyle blog.  We cover everything from parenthood, home design, food, fashion and the one topic that sets my soul on fire...child advocacy.  As Sue Atkins said, "There's no such thing as a perfect parent.  So just be a real one."  In our daily posts, you will get an inside scoop on what being a real parent looks like in our eyes.

I started transPARENTcy because parenting isn't always easy.  In fact sometimes it is so freaking hard.  Being a parent is truly one of the greatest blessings and there is so much beauty in parenting, but I think often times the hard part of parenting isn't talked about enough and then we have parents who feel alone in their struggles, their journey to raise self-sufficient and kind children and this can cause some of us to lose sight of what our real job is as parents...to be the stable bow that sends our living arrows (children) forward in life.  So, we are going to discuss all things parenting.  Then we will have some fun with fashion, food, home design and charitable work. 

Some of you may already know me, but for those of you who don't, my name is Tricia Steffes and I live in Kansas City with my awesome possum daughters.  I am the mother to two beautiful daughters, Grace (12) and Allie (6) and the bonus mom to two more beautiful daughters, Kailey (20) and Reagan (13).  After thirteen years in the finance industry, I decided to start my own clothing line, Crossing Arrows.  Crossing Arrows was inspired by my six year old, Allie.  After two and a half years of navigating Allie's desire to wear boy clothes, I decided it was time leave my comfortable job in Finance to pursue my dream to grow a children's brand that gives spirited girls more gender neutral clothing options.  

I will practice this word TRANSPARENCY and let you into my life.  Completely...not leaving anything out.  Trust me, there is never ever a dull moment in my life.  Just ask my family and friends.  I will let you into the good, the bad and the ugly of divorce and co-parenting my girls with their father, quitting a very comfortable job in finance to pursue my dream as a "single" mom and growing a business which can all be really freaking hard at times.  Transparency isn't a strong suit of mine, so you will get to experience first hand me getting really uncomfortable, but that's my life...learning to be comfortable with the uncomfortable!

In the next couple of weeks, I will let you into my life.  Here is a quick snapshot of what you will learn about me.  My passion for child advocacy stems from my grandparents and mission work.  In my early 20s I graduated with my BSBA with a newborn, a struggling marriage and working full-time.  That struggling marriage ended in divorce and I was raising my beautiful Grace as a single mother and started my career in finance.  If that wasn't enough stress, I decided to get my MBA from Stephens College when Grace was only three.  I worked full-time and studied after she went to bed and would study until 2AM and for those of you who know me, I am NOT a night owl.  This is the time in my life I began my addiction to coffee.  After receiving my MBA in 2010 I decided to pursue law school so that I could have more of a voice in my child advocacy work.  Three months prior to starting law school, I received a life changing phone call.  A call from my sister asking if I would adopt her unborn baby.  After 13 years of battling bi-polar disorder and extensive drug abuse, she made the selfless decision to offer her baby a better life.  So, just five short months after that call we met our little blessing, Allie.  Read our adoption story here.  Allie changed my life and many people's lives in a very powerful way.  She is a super special child and you will get to know her pretty intimately in my blog as well as my other girls.  The craziness of my life didn't stop with Allie...in fact, it got even crazier but it has made me strong and fierce and has taught me that I truly can create the life I want for my girls in me...it just requires HUSTLE and a lot of it.  

Join me in my parenting journey as well as other parent's journeys.  I am excited to let you into my life where you will read about fearlessness, ambition, goals, a growing business, heartache, struggles, failure and triumph.  Thank you for reading!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where My Passion for Child Advocacy Stems From

The greatest grandfather ever...Henry Hudson Barbarick I am often asked where my passion for child advocacy stems.   I am always quick to answer that question because I know exactly where it stems from...my grandfather, Henry.   My grandfather was the reason I was given a heart for children and for those in need.   Growing up I witnessed my grandparents give abundantly to those in need.   When I say they gave abundantly, I mean abundantly and the most amazing thing about them was they lived a very humble life.   My grandfather worked at the Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement and my grandmother stayed home and took care of the family.   So, they didn’t have a lot to give, but they gave as though they had so much. My grandparents had a large room in their basement that we referred to as the pantry.   It was the size of a bedroom and it was lined with shelves that were filled with food and they did this for one reason…so that when someone would come knocking on t

Raising Emotionally Intelligent Kids

Every morning I stand on the steps of our home, sipping my coffee, and watch my 12-year-old walk to the bus stop in the dark.   This morning as I watched her, I was suddenly more aware than ever that my baby girl is growing up…and fast.   She stands 5’8” tall and will most likely surpass me in height.   So, her height always makes her appear older than she is and as she made her way to the bus stop, her silhouette was illuminated by the street light and I felt as though I was going to blink, and she was going to be walking away from me to start the journey we call life.   And I panicked for a moment… is she ready, have I raised her with the tools she needs to succeed, have I been a good mother, have I prepared her mind, body and soul to take on the challenges that we are constantly presented with in life, will she be a self-sufficient, god-fearing woman? It’s terrifying at times to think that as parents we have the greatest impact on our children’s lives.   But then I took a dee

Allie’s Adoption Story

“I didn’t give you the gift of life, but in my heart I know.  The love I feel is deep and real, as if it had been so.  For us to have each other is like a dream come true.  No, I didn’t give you the gift of life; life gave me the gift of you.”   I was given a heart for children very early in life and I knew that I never wanted my passion for children to go untouched.  I wasn’t sure exactly all the ways my life would be impacted by this passion, but I was certain adoption was one of them. Before I was ever in a position to become a mother, I knew that my life would be touched by adoption.  For years, it was on the forefront of my mind to adopt a child internationally.  I had researched international orphanages in high school and some of the conditions of orphanages would bring me to tears and ignited in me an unquenchable desire to speak up for the children that could not speak for themselves.  So, I began praying that God would bless me with a child through adopti