Skip to main content

Parenting Like John Wooden


I find myself frustrated at times because day after day I have to ask my girls to pick up after themselves.  Kids are messy and although I like things clean and organized now, I was messy as a kid also.  I remember at five-years-old my room looked like a bomb went off and I would draw and write on everything.  I mean everything…with a SHARPIE! Luckily, I grew out of that phase and as I became a teenager I began keeping my room spotless and organized, thanks to my parents leading by example and of course giving me chores.  
Over the years I have tried every approach to try to get my kids to get it through their stubborn little minds that they need to pick up after themselves, even to the point of yelling.  I am talking Italian temper, lose my cool, yelling.  P.S. that doesn’t work at all!!  I have learned that although I believe every parent loses their head at times and gets all up in their children’s chilly with some yelling, when we really analyze that approach it doesn’t work.  I agree with John Wooden when he says, “There is nothing stronger than gentleness.”  Keep in mind, as parents, we are all human and it is okay to lose it on your kids at times.  We aren’t perfect…I even quoted Sue Atkins in my blog introduction when she says, “There’s no such thing as a perfect parent.  So just be a real one.” 

Listen…I am only 35-years-old.  I have only been a mom for 14 years…beginning with my bonus daughter, Kailey.  So, I don’t have this parenting thing figured out and I trust that I won’t until my daughters are all grown and out of the house.  Then at that point, I will have my grandkids…to do everything right that I did wrong as a parent. 
Despite not having all the answers to parenting, I am intentional about trying my best to figure it out.  So, this week I tried a new approach to getting my girls to pick up after themselves and it worked!  It was the John Wooden “lead by example” approach.  If you don’t know John Wooden, stop what you’re doing and Google him and then get every book ever written about him or by him.  He will benefit your life.  John Wooden is arguably the best coach and most influential man in the history of basketball.  He is a legend to people on and off the basketball court.  His life lessons and approach to coaching and life will make you a better human and a better parent.  
According to Wooden, one of the more powerful ways of mentoring (helping others to be the best they can be and rise above expectations) is to lead by example.  I am learning the power of example…especially in my parenting.
John Wooden talks of walking into locker rooms, picking up trash off the floor and putting into waste baskets, picking up towels and placing them in dirty clothes bins, and realizing that by the simple act of respecting place and space that his players would quickly do the same without ever being asked.  Instead of Wooden getting frustrated with his players for not picking up after themselves, he would pick up after them himself.  The players began noticing and they too started picking up after themselves and Wooden never had to say a word.  He led by example.  Opposing teams would call Wooden after a basketball game and would complement him, telling him that his team was the only team that would leave the locker room cleaner than when they arrived.  
So, this week I took Wooden’s approach.  One morning as the girls left for school, I told them that when they got home from school, the house would be spotless.  I did clean every room; however, I left only their items that they left lying around the house.  Then, when they got home, I had them walk through each room and ask them what they noticed.  They noticed that the house was very clean, except I didn’t pick up their items.  I would then start picking up their items and put them away where they belong.  Grace instantly chimed in and said they would do the rest and then she began cleaning her room and Allie followed.  Before I knew it, their stuff was picked up and their rooms were clean.
I never had to get onto them.  I led by example.  I was intentional about leaving their things where they lie so they would notice all the things that they leave lying around the house that I would normally pick up.   
There are so many parenting styles and every child is different and requires different approaches, but I would encourage you to try the “lead by example” approach.  You will be surprised how effective it really is. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where My Passion for Child Advocacy Stems From

The greatest grandfather ever...Henry Hudson Barbarick I am often asked where my passion for child advocacy stems.   I am always quick to answer that question because I know exactly where it stems from...my grandfather, Henry.   My grandfather was the reason I was given a heart for children and for those in need.   Growing up I witnessed my grandparents give abundantly to those in need.   When I say they gave abundantly, I mean abundantly and the most amazing thing about them was they lived a very humble life.   My grandfather worked at the Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement and my grandmother stayed home and took care of the family.   So, they didn’t have a lot to give, but they gave as though they had so much. My grandparents had a large room in their basement that we referred to as the pantry.   It was the size of a bedroom and it was lined with shelves that were filled with food and they did this for one reason…so that when someone would come knocking on t

Raising Emotionally Intelligent Kids

Every morning I stand on the steps of our home, sipping my coffee, and watch my 12-year-old walk to the bus stop in the dark.   This morning as I watched her, I was suddenly more aware than ever that my baby girl is growing up…and fast.   She stands 5’8” tall and will most likely surpass me in height.   So, her height always makes her appear older than she is and as she made her way to the bus stop, her silhouette was illuminated by the street light and I felt as though I was going to blink, and she was going to be walking away from me to start the journey we call life.   And I panicked for a moment… is she ready, have I raised her with the tools she needs to succeed, have I been a good mother, have I prepared her mind, body and soul to take on the challenges that we are constantly presented with in life, will she be a self-sufficient, god-fearing woman? It’s terrifying at times to think that as parents we have the greatest impact on our children’s lives.   But then I took a dee

Allie’s Adoption Story

“I didn’t give you the gift of life, but in my heart I know.  The love I feel is deep and real, as if it had been so.  For us to have each other is like a dream come true.  No, I didn’t give you the gift of life; life gave me the gift of you.”   I was given a heart for children very early in life and I knew that I never wanted my passion for children to go untouched.  I wasn’t sure exactly all the ways my life would be impacted by this passion, but I was certain adoption was one of them. Before I was ever in a position to become a mother, I knew that my life would be touched by adoption.  For years, it was on the forefront of my mind to adopt a child internationally.  I had researched international orphanages in high school and some of the conditions of orphanages would bring me to tears and ignited in me an unquenchable desire to speak up for the children that could not speak for themselves.  So, I began praying that God would bless me with a child through adopti