Skip to main content

Raising Emotionally Intelligent Kids


Every morning I stand on the steps of our home, sipping my coffee, and watch my 12-year-old walk to the bus stop in the dark.  This morning as I watched her, I was suddenly more aware than ever that my baby girl is growing up…and fast.  She stands 5’8” tall and will most likely surpass me in height.  So, her height always makes her appear older than she is and as she made her way to the bus stop, her silhouette was illuminated by the street light and I felt as though I was going to blink, and she was going to be walking away from me to start the journey we call life.  And I panicked for a moment…is she ready, have I raised her with the tools she needs to succeed, have I been a good mother, have I prepared her mind, body and soul to take on the challenges that we are constantly presented with in life, will she be a self-sufficient, god-fearing woman?

It’s terrifying at times to think that as parents we have the greatest impact on our children’s lives.  But then I took a deep breathe and felt confident.  Not confident that I am doing everything right as a parent, because I know I am not.  I have my faults…don’t we all, but confident because I am giving it my all and being an intentional parent and giving her my random “life talks” that she loves so much (enter sarcasm).  Every parent is different in what they want their children to grow up armed with, but I think there are three things that are most imperative to raising a self-sufficient, kind and happy child with strong morals.  The three areas I focus on as a parent are faith, emotional intelligence and a strong work ethic. 

Today, however, I am going to focus on emotional intelligence.  I have studied emotional intelligence for years and I truly believe, next to faith, strong emotional intelligence is the foundation for a life of health and happiness.

Let me start by explaining what emotional intelligence is.  Emotional intelligence is the capability of individuals to recognize their own emotions and those of others, discern between different feelings and label them appropriately, use emotional information to guide thinking and behavior, and manage and/or adjust emotions to adapt to environments or achieve one’s goal.

One doctor that I have turned to in my research is Dr. John Gottman.  His research shows that emotional awareness and the ability to manage feelings will determine how successful and happy our children are throughout life, even more than their IQ.

Below are three do’s for building your child’s emotional intelligence, according to Dr. John Gottman.

1.     Do recognize negative emotions as an opportunity to connect.  Use your child’s negative emotions as an opportunity to connect, heal, and grow.  Children have a hard time controlling their emotions.  Stay compassionate, loving, and kind.  Communicate empathy and understanding so that your children can begin to piece together their heightened emotional state.

2.     Do help your child label their emotions.  Help your child put words and meaning ot how they’re feeling.  Once children can appropriately recognize and label their emotions, they’re more apt to regulating themselves without feeling overwhelmed.

3.     Do set limits and problem-solve.  Help them find ways of responding differently in the future.  Enlist their help in seeking alternative solutions to their struggles.  Kids yearn for autonomy, and this is a great way to teach them that they are capable of self-regulating themselves in a world that seems unfair and particularly upsetting.  Remind them that all emotions are acceptable, but all behaviors are not. 

Being a parent is a challenging and never-ending job.  With these three small steps, you can raise children who are bright, self-confident, and better able to navigate the intricacies of life with ease and confidence.  And raising emotionally intelligent children can’t happen until we, as parents, understand emotional intelligence.  If you haven’t already, I would encourage you to begin understanding EI and my favorite doctor and author of EI is Dr. Travis Bradberry.  Here are a few links that I encourage you to spend a little time on.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Where My Passion for Child Advocacy Stems From

The greatest grandfather ever...Henry Hudson Barbarick I am often asked where my passion for child advocacy stems.   I am always quick to answer that question because I know exactly where it stems from...my grandfather, Henry.   My grandfather was the reason I was given a heart for children and for those in need.   Growing up I witnessed my grandparents give abundantly to those in need.   When I say they gave abundantly, I mean abundantly and the most amazing thing about them was they lived a very humble life.   My grandfather worked at the Union Pacific Railroad until his retirement and my grandmother stayed home and took care of the family.   So, they didn’t have a lot to give, but they gave as though they had so much. My grandparents had a large room in their basement that we referred to as the pantry.   It was the size of a bedroom and it was lined with shelves that were filled with food and they did this for one reason…so that when someone would come knocking on t

KCTV5 Interview – Child Advocacy

We are honored to have partnered with the Kansas City Child Protection Center, a nationally recognized child advocacy center. As many of you know, child advocacy is our first passion.  We have always said that Crossing Arrows has a higher purpose than just clothing children.  We are empowering children through clothing AND child advocacy.  We will live out our promise to help serve children in need as well as the organizations who provide life changing services.  We chose to partner with CPC because we believe in their mission and believe that our purpose with Crossing Arrows is to speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves and for us, that’s children. The mission of the Child Protection Center is to respect the child and protect their voice throughout the investigation of child abuse. The CPC accomplishes its mission by providing a safe, child-friendly setting in which to interview child abuse victims, coordinating investigative team services as w

My Conversation with Allie about Bullying

  My conversation with Allie in the car rider line this morning... Me: Allie you're going to treat everyone with kindness today, right? Allie: Yes mom Me: And if you see someone being bullied what do you do? Allie: Mom, we just talked about this in school and they said to walk away and tell a teacher. Me: No, first you go and stand up for the kid that's being bullied and tell the bully that kindness will make them happier than bullying and then ask them if they would like to be your friend because sometimes a bully just needs a friend. Allie: And if they start bullying me? Me: Kill them with kindness baby...then look them directly in the eye and tell them that their bullying has no affect on you and tell them we will pray that their heart changes and then you go tell a teacher. Allie: Why would I be nice to them? Me: Because they are acting that way for a reason. Maybe they have a sad home life or aren't treated right by someone in their life and they don't